The Windows 10 Edition is similar to Minecraft’s mobile Pocket Edition, but will eventually pick up the more potent features of the PC and Xbox versions. For a full feature list head over to here.
Just like the first release of Minecraft all those years ago, this version will develop and evolve over time with the help of your feedback. That’s why it has “Beta” in the title – because it’s not quite finished, and will become even more fun over time. Just like the other versions of Minecraft, all future updates will be free. We spoil you. We really do.
If you’re one of the 20 million(!) players who have the PC edition of Minecraft (referred to by techy people as the Java version) you’ll be able to download Windows 10 Edition Beta from the Windows 10 store for free. Other players can get it for the paltry price of $10 during the beta period (the length of which is still being decided).
Minecraft is available on Windows, Mac, Windows Phone, iOS, Android, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4 and PS Vita, and now, Windows 10. Not every version of Minecraft is exactly the same, but they all feature two distinct game modes – Creative and Survival – that cater to different types of players. All versions of Minecraft support multiplayer.
You’ll recognise some Pocket Edition features in Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta, along with potpourri of cool extras. Here are some highlights:
- Craft, create, and explore online with up to seven friends playing Windows 10 Edition Beta, through local multiplayer or with your Xbox Live friends online.
- Play online and local multiplayer with other Pocket Edition players thanks to a free update, due to arrive soon after launch.
- Multiple control schemes! Switch between controller, touch, and keyboard controls with little to no effort!
- Record and share gameplay highlights with built-in GameDVR.
- Help shape the future of Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta with our built player feedback mechanisms!
- Chickens, zombies, pigs, boats, armed skeletons, potatoes, zombies, baby squids, enchantment tables, villagers, naked sheep, iron golems, potions, ghasts, pickaxes, carrots, and all the weird and wonderful goodness you’ve come to expect from Minecraft.
Those who own the original PC version of the game can register their copy on Mojang.com and pick up the Windows 10 Edition free. For everyone else, it comes in at a discounted $10 during the beta period.
THE “MINECRAFT: WINDOWS 10 EDITION” BETA WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD IN THE WINDOWS 10 STORE BEGINNING JULY 29. PLAYERS WHO ALREADY HAVE THE PC EDITION OF “MINECRAFT” WILL BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD THE WINDOWS 10 BETA VERSION FREE. OTHERS CAN DOWNLOAD “MINECRAFT: WINDOWS 10 EDITION” AT A DISCOUNTED PRICE OF $10 THROUGHOUT THE BETA PERIOD. PLAYERS WHO DOWNLOAD “MINECRAFT: WINDOWS 10 EDITION” DURING THE BETA PHASE WILL STILL HAVE THE GAME WHEN IT COMES OUT OF BETA, AND RECEIVE ALL FUTURE UPDATES TO THE GAME AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.